MY THOUGHTS, ART, POEMS, THINGS THAT GRINDS MY GEARS, UPCOMING EVENTS, LOCAL ARTISTS' CD/PERFORMANCE REVIEWS & MUCH MORE!




Wednesday, September 18, 2013

SAUL WILLIAMS PERFORMS AT THE GROG SHOP

In the late fall of 1998, I went see a movie called Slam starring Saul Williams. I was more intrigued by his unique poetic style than the movie itself. Who would've thought that 15 years later, I would get to see him perform at the Grog Shop?

Last night's show brought out people of various ages and races... and some who I haven't seen in a while... people who could honestly say that they were inspired by Saul's work in some form or fashion. He humbly greeted people as he made his way to the stage and grabbed everyone's attention as he read from his book.
When he finished performing, he stepped off stage and mingled with the remaining patrons... I didn't want to talk his ear off, I just took his picture and shook his hand...

As I walked out of the Grog, I wondered if some of my fellow local poets, who often stand on pedestals, found some sort of humility in Saul's performance. I wondered if it inspired them to re-embrace the craft that once changed their lives. I wonder if those younger poets who've gotten the chance to open up for Saul get a moment to speak to him and gain wisdom from his words or presence.

"Love is an Art..." ~ Saul Williams


No comments: